Chengdu Concordia International School Peer Tutoring Program
This program is supported by two areas of research. In the first area, as has long been understood, those who are learning something learn it more deeply and are better able to apply the skill or knowledge when they also “teach” the materials being learned. In the second area, research into Second Language Acquisition shows that Second Language Learners can often learn a skill or subject more comprehensively when they are taught or tutored by peers who are able to supply entry points into the materials that instructors many not be able to provide. Additionally, Best Practices promote the sharing of key concepts and symbolic language in learners’ first language (L-1) in order to connect the learners’ lexical understanding in their first language with the new material being studied. Therefore, Chengdu Concordia International School’s (CCIS) Peer-Tutoring Program will begin in May of 2018 in order to enhance both individual learning and our overall Learning Community via Peer Tutorials.
Program Liaison Maggie Tang will oversee the work of CCIS Advising Teachers who will monitor the Scheduling and Performance of the Peer Tutors. The Advising Teachers will review and sign the weekly Tutorial Record Sheet for both Tutors and Tutees. Ms. Tang will provide updates on the program to both Principal Davis and Vice Principal Hughes. In this way the above named, in addition to the Advising Teachers, can serve as references for any future university Tutoring positions the students apply for. Additionally, this beneficial service will be included in the CCIS transcript under “Activities”.
Students applying for the Peer Tutorial Program will fill-out a simple application form and obtain the approval of the Subject Course Teachers who teach the subject they wish to tutor in. In general, a Quarter average of 80% or above in the subjects they wish to tutor in should be held by Peer Tutors.
- The Peer Tutors’ own Notes and corrected Homework, Quizzes and Exams.
- By conferencing with the teacher of the subject in question.
- Peer Tutoring Resource Binder which will hold necessary materials supplied by each subject teacher. For example, Worksheets, Hand-outs, Graphic Visualizers, Quizzes and Homework with Answer Keys.
Approved Peer Tutors will be given both an Introductory Peer Tutoring Training Session and be monitored in an ongoing fashion — a feedback loop between those tutored, the Peer-Tutors and the Advising Teachers will be the best way to monitor and work toward Continuous Improvement and will be best supported through monthly debrief sessions (What is Working Well, What Difficulties have been Encountered and What Solutions can we Implement?).
Lunch time, Study Hall and after school Tutorial Sessions will be the norm — Additional times can be arranged to fit students’ needs and schedules.
Benefits and Rewards:
- Improves Self-Confidence while enhancing learning, collaboration and communication.
- Enhances students’ attitudes toward school and subject matter.
- Opportunities for close, 1-1, Tutorial Sessions that by their nature allow for more Question/Answer time and also for L-1 scaffolding as required.
- Opportunities for additional repetition of challenging materials.
- Opportunities for peer to peer communications that build community, shared purpose and camaraderie.
- Deepens learning and develops communication skills and emotional intelligence.
- Develops confidence and allows for greater communication opportunities with instructors outside of traditional student/teacher roles.
- Satisfaction derived from helping others and our school.
- Opportunity to develop communication and training skills that may be useful in later academic and professional life.
- Enhances Peer-Tutors’ responsibility.
- Provides greater breadth of instructional support and deepens learning of all participants.
- Peer Tutoring improves Student Retention and overall Academic Performance.
- Can provide useful feedback to instructors when common problems are noted and effective solutions are found.
- Cost effective way to enhance our Learning Outcomes while building a Learning Community through shared purpose.
- Addresses numerous 21st Century Skill and Social and Emotional Learning.